Diary 50 (The little things)

The last time my dad attended one of my football games I was in High School. I guess I never realized how long it had been, until I invited to fly him and my younger brother Brandon to Pittsburgh for our game against the Washington Redskins.  10 years ago the idea of being able to fly my family across the country for a football game would have seemed impossible. Out of all the things that football has allowed me to experience up to this point, it always seems to be the little things like that, that are the sweetest rewards of all.

“It’s all about the little things.”

A lot has happened over the past few months. I’ve had my fair share of highs and lows in my first year playing up to this point, from making the team, to scoring my first NFL touchdown and being a team captain, to letting a sure touchdown pass slip through my fingers on national television. It’s been quite the year so far…. and I absolutely love it.

I guess the trick of it all is not getting too high on your highs or too low on your lows.

“It’s all about the little things.”

This will be my 50th Diary that I have written. It’s pretty crazy to think there have been that many really.

It’s even crazier to know that many of you have been following my story up to this point. I think the coolest thing about scoring my first touchdown a few weeks back was knowing that so many of you that have supported me might of well have been there in the end zone right along with me.

Pittsburgh has grown on me quite a bit. It’s to the point where I’d consider it as home. There aren’t many people I’ve encountered that are as proud as Texans, but Pittsburghers are right up there. So I guess I’m like extra proud these days.

I have finally found a legit group of friends, and most importantly moved into a house and built a fire pit in my backyard like my old one back in Texas.

It’s a good feeling to be settled after two years of uncertainty.

“It’s all about the little things.”

Over the past few months this is what God has been reminding me of daily.

“Enjoy the little things Baron.”

I feel like I had gotten away from that. I feel like I had been so fixated on the major accomplishments that I had forgotten about all the awesome little things until recently.

It’s amazing how easy it is to avoid riding the emotional rollercoaster life can be when you remember to count your blessings.

For me it’s been my family, fire pit and friends.

“Its all about the little things.”

That’s what I’m going to keep reminding myself.

Count your blessings.

Count them twice so you don’t forget.

Blessings,

Baron

Posted 1 year ago

Comments

17 Responses to “Diary 50 (The little things)”

1. Cassie says:

Pittsburgh is glad to have you here. I tell my kids all the time that you’re as kind as Troy is. You prove to me time and time again that to be a good, patient person, good things can happen. No need to be cruel or a shark. Just be a good person.

You are a good person, Baron.

2. ohhim says:

Glad things are settling in well in the city… friends of mine almost set my backyard on fire with a (cheap makshift) pit 2 years back, so watch out for dry windy days!

Wish I could make it up for the auction, but stuck out of town for a while. Good luck with the fundraiser!

3. Pastor Vernon Baker says:

Hey Baron, congratulations on 50 diaries of your faith and life experience. God continues to bless you with the little things amongst some very big things. Seeing the little things, makes the big things God is doing seem even greater. YOu are still loved in the big city of Tahoka.
    Pastor Vernon

4. sarah evanko says:

I knew you’d end up loving Pittsburgh .. Boy do i miss it so bad ,when i read this my heart ached for home . Funny how your year is summed up in F’s , i summed up my year a few weeks ago and it goes to the M’s. Murder , Moving and Marriage ,2012 has really really been quite a hard, terrible year for us, but it’s has shown me exactly how tough i really am and how awful life can really be and how even in the mist of an unexplained tragedy little things can lift your spirit and keep you going just one more day .

5. Lisa Driver says:

Thanks Baron for the reminder of being thankful for the little things. My sons and I watch and pull for you when you are on the field as well as pray for you. Saw your first touchdown and say the missed pass as well but know great days are ahead of you on and off the field. Thanks for all your post they are a blessing!

6. Kristy Richter-Morris says:

What a wonderful posting. The Lord has blessed you and continues to keep you real.

7. Matt Jenkins says:

Great blog Baron. You are right it is the little things that can really matter the most sometimes. God takes care of us each and every day and it is the things we often don’t recognize that He puts in our lives each day. Thank you for reminding me of that once again. Blessings to you and may God continue to use you in a mighty way in Pittsburgh.

8. Tracy DeHaven says:

Beautifully written as always with a beautiful message. It is so easy to get caught up in the drama that you forget to be grateful for the little things. When it comes right down to it, it is really the daily little things that truly bring us consistent joy if you take time to enjoy and appreciate them. Thank you so much for the reminder! Blessings to you, Baron!

9. John Phillips says:

Very nice read Baron. Good to hear that you have settled into Pittsburgh. I’m from Pittsburgh originally and now have lived most of my life in Texas and so West Texas was my second home away from home. God Bless, good luck and stay healthy

10. Tosha Pearson says:

I just wanted to say I have followed you since the beginning and I look forward to your post! Everytime I get one it makes my day! I count you as one of my blessings! I always read your post to my son Caleb, who is a huge fan of course! We are huge RED RAIDER fans as well! We have hasd season tickets to Texas Tech football games sinces 1999 when Caleb was a year old! We sit in section one right by the tunnel where the players come out and miss seeing the # 25 Batch but look forward to watching you play in Pittsburg every week! Caleb has caught a couple of your gloves that you had tossed up to the crowd when you guys would leave the field after a win! You even have given him a few high fives and we have some awesome pictures of you and him and our daughter Sarah! Anyway I am rambling but I just want to thank you for being such a great role model for him! You are strong in your faith and you show your love for our Lord and I am so thankful to you that you are a proud Christian and show our young children that having faith in God is a great thing! I also wanted to tell you how wonderful it is that you are doing the fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis foundation! I lost my best friend Carmen, to cystic fibrosis 12 years ago and I miss her like crazy but I know that with people like you helping fight for a cure that we will someday soon have that cure. Anyway I just wanted to say thank you for being a blessing in our lives! Oh and one more thing…… WRECK ‘EM!

11. Carole matteo says:

Hi Baron, some how your posts always lifts my sports. I believe God truly is at work with your posts. Feeling a little down tonight and after reading your post I realized I need to remind myself just how blessed I am. Thank you again for sharing.

You were right about that touch down….we were all go crazy here in MD.
    I can’t imagine what that felt like for you..

Again Thank you.

Peace

Carole

12. Beverly Romako says:

Baron, Sir, you have done it again! Do you realize that when one reads your words, you strike their hearts! I am a native NY’er from the Bronx and a Pittsburgh fan for many years! 46 years out of my 52! You are a remarkable young man! You brought me back to reality from reading this! So often we ALL forget the ‘little things’ and really, they can be the Lord’s largest gifts to us! In giving we can all do the same.Mother Theresa once said..’Do small things with GREAT love’. Your writings inspire and Mr. Batch we are thankful that you share them with us. When we were watching the game, I had told my husband that I had a feeling you were going to score a touchdown during that game. A there you went with your one yarder! I was ecstatic for you! I am sure there will be many more! You are an athlete, an artist, a humanitarian, a speaker – and we as fans are blessed to have met you through football! When you write and share with others Baron, you never know how your words impact what is going on in another’s life! These words I read tonight impacted mine! Thanks and may God always Bless You!

13. Debbie Morton says:

Baron,

I look forward to reading your diary and looking at your pictures. I was right in front of the TV screaming at you when you got your first touchdown. How excited we are for you! Welcome to Pittsburgh!

It is all about the little things Baron!

Be Proud & God Bless!

Debbie Morton

14. Stephanie Hammonds says:

You’re so right on! Of course, why should I be surprised? Heath was amazing at appreciating the little things when all I could focus on is the big picture. Makes me wonder just how much I missed out on. I find now that when I stop to focus on the little things, especially with my children, that life has so much more meaning and enjoyment! Keep inspiring us every day! Can’t wait to watch our Red Raiders wreck Texas this week. Love ya man!

15. elaine says:

You are so right! It is the little things that count – the things we don’t even think about – until we don’t have them. I am reminded often to thank God for a roof over my head, for a hot shower, for heat on a cold night, for friends and family and yes, for the bonuses – like a vacation with family! Glad you’re a Steeler and though I live in the state of IN, I’m a PA girl through and through!

16. Lisa Garcia says:

I love reading your posts! If you don’t mind I would like to share the end of your blog entry! “Count your blessings. Count them twice so you don’t forget!” I am posting this on my wall because it is so true how easy we can forget our blessings and overlook the little things! Thank you Baron!

17. Emily Moore says:

You are awesome. Proud of you and excited to see where the Lord is taking you! Hit me up if you are ever in Lubbock!